Thursday, October 15, 2020

Changing the Narrative: Alternatives to "Classics"

 This week my Google Alerts set for diverse children's literature and diverse characters in children's literature brought back a multitude of results that I found particularly interesting! I spent most of my week really pondering one article titled "Authors hope 2020 turns the page in push for diverse children's books," republished by the Port Charlotte (FL) Sun on October 9, 2020. Written by Nedra Rhone of The Atlanta-Constitution Journal, the article really highlighted that despite 50 years of advocacy for representing characters, themes and stories featuring all races and cultures publishers are starting to finally put their money where their mouth is. 

The piece of the article that not only struck me as a reader, but as a teacher, was the concept of replacing traditional "classics" with new, diverse titles to teach the same topics and themes. The author mentions one of my all-time favorite books To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee. This text is often used in high school English classes to examine racial tension and inequities in the south during the 1930s. Librarian and advocate Cicely Lewis (Meadowcreek High School) has "challenged teachers to find alternatives to classic novels that could teach kids the same lessons," recommending Angie Thomas' The Hate U Give as a contemporary alternative. 

As a librarian I often read stories to my students that I like or that I remember from my formative years. After reading this article and reflecting on my desire to build a more inclusive and diverse collection I realized that building the collection is only half the battle to truly transforming the narrative and perspective my school libraries provide. I am challenging myself to find diverse alternatives to the books I normally choose to read. I recognize that there might not be a book out there for every experience, but hope that by being cognizant of including alternatives I may be able to share a wide range of authors, illustrators, and characters to represent all of my students. 


https://www.yoursun.com/charlotte/features/authors-hope-2020-turns-the-page-in-push-for-diverse-childrens-books/article_c6ecaa28-c051-535c-97b9-c0bfdc605e0e.html

2 comments:

  1. Hi Jaclyn,
    I found your post very interesting because of the unique perspective you have as a librarian. I agree that it is weird to think about how some of the traditional classics may be replaced in the future. I am sure many of us have memories of reading these books in school, and hopefully those are fond:) Although I did enjoy these books, I understand the need to consider more diverse options so that all of our students feel included. This is important for our ELL students who come from diverse cultural backgrounds.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jaclyn,

    I love that you point out the need for changing the perspective and narrative of the school library. I don't think, especially as a teacher, that I realize how closely students follow these things. They look to find books and resources that fit in their life and culture. I admire the hard work and attitude that you put forward. Students are lucky to be involved in your library!

    ReplyDelete

Stepping Up

This week's Google alerts brought to my attention two instances where others are stepping up to highlight books featuring diversity to c...